04 March 2008

Purpose/Driven?

I once heard a friend say he felt that at the age of 19 he should have already done something along the lines of curing cancer. Granted he was being dramatic, but I think he wasn’t far from describing the feelings many have in this society. The first question most people ask and are asked when meeting someone is "What do you do?"

I too feel the pressure to do "great" things and have been told on a number of occasions that I am "special." I’ve heard the often taken out of context Jeremiah 29:11 "God has a plan for my life," along with numerous spiritual clichés one is fed if they are in the church for more than a day. And I have dreamed of being that “someone” who does that “something” incredibly life and world altering. And now, upon entering adulthood, I am loathing myself for falling into the trap of daily 9-to-5 cubicle life and wondering why I didn't major in something more adventurous in college...

Summer Lee Carison, http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god_article.php?id=7502

No comments: