08 March 2015

Length of Time

This is not what we were told.

That the world is spiraling, down and out.

I have been silent far too long, and feel that I must reintroduce

Myself, the world, myself to the world.

I am a recovering cynic, cynic more than recovering

A frustrated optimist, embracing truth and settling for realism.


This is not what we were told.

That the world is a storm, of light and love and fear.


Yet were not made for silence, having learned

that dragons can be slain. And having done all,

we stand.

I am an optimist, frustrated

by the length of time between cynicism and love.




"Promise me
you will not spend
so much time
treading water
and trying to keep your 
head above the waves
that you forget, 
truly forget, 
how much you have always 
loved
to swim" - T. K. Gregson



No comments: