23 July 2008

My 5:30 AM thoughts, sitting outside the chapel



Been working on memorizing Psalm 86. It seems very very applicable. 

"Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy.
 Preserve my life, for I am godly. Save your servant, who trusts in you--you are my God. 
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for to you do I cry all the day.
 Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you do I lift up my soul. 
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who cal
l upon you. Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer, listen to my plea for grace. In the day of my trouble, I call upon you, for you answer me...."

I was thinking about it. How strange, the first verse recognizes my poorness, my need. O Lord, pay attention, because I am weak and helpless. It is a recognition of the Lord's mercy and my dependence. Yet the next verse, "Preserve my life, for I am godly"--the only way I can be godly is because in the previous verse, he answered me. I am poor and needy, and I am godly because of God--"you are my God"

"I call upon you, for you answer me..."--I am poor and needy. You are good and forgiving. Here is my soul. Gladden it once again.

No comments: